Breaking News

Deputy Superintendent Of Police Faces Dismissal Over N24,000 Bribe

A Deputy Superintendent of Police, Mr. David Ekong, of the Cross River State Police Command and some of his subordinates are currently facing orderly room trial over N24, 000 marked money prepared by an Assistant Inspector General as part of bribery demanded from one Mr. Ottobong Inyang.

Ekong and his team had unlawfully arrested and detained Inyang and demanded N250, 000 as bribe for his bail.

Southern City News learnt on Friday that Inyang was arrested on February 19 and detained at the state Police Command headquarters in Calabar but was released on February 21 after paying N50, 000 to Ekong.

It was gathered that Inyang was arrested for alleged armed robbery and car theft shortly after he bought a Volkswagen Passat from a car shop along IBB Way by Eta-Agbor roundabout in Calabar.

The police, had on arrest, claimed that the car was stolen during a robbery but the date and scene of the incident were not disclosed.

As if it was a set up, Southern City News learnt that the car dealer, who was arrested alongside Inyang to the police headquarters, was not detained.

Inyang was coerced while in detention to pay N250, 000 for his release, but at the long run, he agreed to pay N100, 000.

He was able to deposit N50, 000 before he secured his freedom on February 21 but was asked to bring the balance by February 22 or he would be rearrested.

However, Inyang immediately got a legal team that approached the AIG in charge of Zone Six, Mr. Adisa Bolanta, to formally lay the complaints.

A source, Mr. Omini Bassey, said while in the AIG’s office, Ekong kept calling for the balance and instructed Inyang to bring the money to Watt Market area of Calabar South.

“While still in the AIG’s office, a follow-up call came from one Agu (a corporal) who said he had instruction from Ekong to collect the N24, 000 balance from him. He said he was already waiting at Watt Market,” Bassey said.

At that point, the source disclosed that the AIG marked N24, 000 himself and gave it as part of the balance to be handed to Ekong.

“The AIG also put detectives on the trail of Ekong and his accomplices. The money was eventually delivered to Agu and soon after, the detectives swooped on him and arrested him with the balance in his pocket,” he added.

It was learnt that Ekong was subsequently picked up from his beat along with others who participated in the bribery deal.

The AIG, it was reliably gathered, had ordered an orderly room trial and dismissal of the affected policemen if found guilty.

When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. John Eluu, said he was not aware of the matter.

But the Zone Six Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Nwibani Baritoge, said the orderly trial was currently ongoing to determine the fate of those involved.

“I am aware of the case. An orderly room trial is on to determine their fate,” he said.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.